Hot tubs. They’re great for providing relaxation, fun and excitement. But when it comes time to move house, a hot tub can go from the ultimate de-stressor to a major stressor really quick. One look at a hot tub and you can conclude that they are big, heavy, and awkwardly shaped – three things that make it a very difficult object to move.
How do you move a hot tub? Can you do it solo or will you require professional help? Should you bother moving it or is it best to leave it behind? For all of your head-scratching questions, we’ve got the answers, so continue reading!
When it comes to moving a hot tub from one location to another, there are three main options to consider. Here’s a look at each:
Option 1: Don’t move it. Looking for the easiest way to move a hot tub? Then here it is – don’t move it. It may not be easy to part with your ultimate source of fun and relaxation, but after much thought and consideration, it may turn out to be your best option. When deciding if you should take your hot tub or leave it behind, consider these things:
- Moving cost. Every item you take with you from your old home to your new one will increase your final moving bill. Since hot tubs are incredibly heavy and difficult to move, it may cost you a pretty penny to do so. First, get a quote from specialized hot tub movers. Then consider how much the hot tub cost you to purchase. Now think, is moving your hot tub worth it?
- Time. The more difficult an object is to move, the more time is required to move it. A hot tub is one possession that will eat up a lot of your moving time. You’ll need to prepare it, load it, transport it, unload it, and reassemble it. Do you have enough time to spare?
- Dangers. Some things are easy to move, while some are not. A hot tub is one that is definitely not. You can’t just pick up a hot tub and throw it onto a truck. And there are a lot of dangers that go along with moving it. Hot tubs are extremely heavy – averaging around 800 pounds. This can lead to many dangerous situations, such as costly damage to the hot tub or personal injuries to those who are put in charge of moving it.
Option 2: Hire movers. After serious thought, if you come to the conclusion that you are going to take the necessary steps to take your hot tub with you, then you will need to figure out the best way to do so. Because of the high level of difficulty it will take to move your hot tub, the best choice is to hire professional movers to do it for you. Experienced movers will have the experience and proper equipment to get the job done safely and quickly. Having professionals take care of your hot tub will also free you up so you will have more time to focus on more important tasks.
Option 3: Move it yourself. We can’t stress enough that hiring professionals to move your hot tub for you is the best choice. But if you really insist on moving your hot tub yourself, there are some ways to do it. But you’ll need some things first:
- Proper equipment. In order to move your hot tub, you’ll need to have the proper equipment: Four-wheeled furniture dollies (at least 2)
- Appliance dolly
- 4×4 wood pieces
- Moving straps
- Manpower. Due to its extreme weight, you will need at least four people to complete the challenging job of moving your hot tub. So be sure to secure help from your strongest friends and relatives to get the job done.
- Basic knowledge and experience. Before tackling the task of moving your hot tub, you must first prepare and plan for the job ahead. Becoming familiar with how your hot tub is put together, and how it works, are two things that will help you prepare for the main goal – moving it.
As you have learned so far, moving a hot tub takes a lot of time, money and strength. If you plan to move your hot tub yourself, you will need to know how to do so. To learn the necessary steps, continue on to our next blog!