During the strenuous process of preparing for a move, there will come a time where you’ll admit you need help. While friends and family can come in handy during the stressful events of your move, opting for the help of a professional moving company is the ultimate choice. Not only will it save you a whole lot of stress, it will also leave you time to focus on other important moving tasks. But before you hire the first help you find, here are some important qualities you should look for to ensure you make the right choice.
Are they legit?
Before you dive in and hire the first moving company you come across, it is extremely important to ensure that they are legit. There are a lot of “rogue” movers out there with the solid intention of reeling you in with ultra-low prices just to screw you over in the end. To avoid tragic situations like this, you need to do your research. To guarantee a safe move, you need to hire movers that are fully bonded and certified, who operate legally and meet all federal insurance, safety and financial standards.
The ultimate way to verify the legitimacy of a moving company is by checking their license. A legitimate intrastate moving company is required to have a USDOT number issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). So in order for an intrastate moving company to legally operate, they need a state license.
Another way to detect a legit moving company is by their membership with the American Mover and Storage Association (AMSA) and/or the Better Business Bureau (BBB). This guarantees that a company abides by the national guidelines and assumes liability for the items in their custody. When reviewing potential movers for your upcoming relocation, be sure to visit the FMCSA official website (or your states government website if you are moving locally) in order to find out if they have a valid USDOT number (or state license).
Are they affordable?
For most, price is the main factor in deciding if a moving company is the right choice for you. Moving is expensive enough without tacking on professional help, after all. The lower the cost a moving company asks of you, the better it seems. But is it? While you want to hire movers within your budget, it’s important that they also offer good customer service.
Finding the perfect balance between quality and cost can be tough. This is why it is worth your time to get at least three or four moving estimates so you can compare prices and conditions offered by different companies. During your estimate, be sure to find out these things:
- What the quoted price includes;
- What they consider to be “extra services” and how much is charged for them;
- What packing materials and packing assistance they provide and at what cost;
- What deposit is required and if it’s refundable under certain circumstances;
- If they offer any discounts or promotions; and
- What payment methods they accept.
Once you have all the necessary information, you can then make an informed decision on the best company for your move.
Are they experienced?
Hiring a moving company then finding out they are inexperienced is a situation you definitely don’t want to end up in. If you’re going to entrust your most prized possessions into the care of complete strangers, you want them to have expert skills and professional know-how in order to provide a smooth, fast and problem-free relocation.
Movers that have been in business for years have faced a large variety of relocation types and gained rich experience in all sorts of situations. This means they are good at what they do and will know exactly how to handle your belongings in a safe and efficient manner, as well as how to take proper care of all other aspects of the grueling moving process.
Another thing to keep in mind is that a moving company would only have remained in business for years if it had proved itself by performing well.
Finding a mover with a flawless track record is huge when it comes to choosing moving services. When speaking with potential movers, be sure to ask them these questions:
- How long they’ve been in business;
- If they hire full-time movers and provide adequate training;
- If they employ temporary workers (Temporary workers lack experience and are likely to make mistakes.);
- If they have specialized moving equipment (hoisting and rigging systems, for example); and
- If they have storage facilities.
Are they reliable?
One of the most important qualities to look for in a moving company is reliability. A reliable company will provide all the key traits you are looking for.
- Legitimate and insured;
- Provide excellent customer service, treating your belongings with care and attention;
- Will clear rates and conditions;
- Will deliver on time; and
- Will settle problems in a mutually beneficial manner.
So how do you find a well-rounded and reliable moving company? The best way to do this is by verifying the company’s credentials and performing extensive research on their background and reputation. Here’s how:
- Read online reviews from former customers;
- Contact the FMCSA’s safety violation and consumer complaints hotline to find out about complaints against your chosen movers;
- Check the company’s rating with the BBB;
- Find out if the company has won any awards for their services; and
- Ask them to provide you with references and show you letters of recommendation.
To check out our moving services, click here.