Whitewater (formerly, White Water) is a census-designated place in Riverside County, California. It is directly off Interstate 10halfway between North Palm Springs and Cabazon on the way from Palm Springs to Los Angeles.
White Water, still a populated place on the west bank of the Whitewater River, 10 miles (16 km) northwest of Palm Springs.33°54′52″N 116°42′38″W It began as rest and watering place for travelers on the Bradshaw Trail between San Bernardino and La Paz Arizona Territory in 1862. With the start of the Colorado River Gold Rush the trail was created to ship goods and allow people to cross the desert to the new boom towns on the Colorado River and the interior of Arizona Territory. White Water got its name from the White Water Station a stagecoach station that was located there on the Bradshaw Trail. The settlement at White Water remained as a stop on the road into the Coachella Valley and to other desert regions to the east as it does today.