Apollo Beach is an unincorporated census-designated place in Hillsborough County, Florida, United States. The population was 14,055 at the 2010 census.
The history of Apollo Beach started in 1923 on land owned by the Dickman family, then used annually for farming and grazing pasture. Much of the land was mangrove and low-elevation and was considered uninhabitable.In the 1930s, Paul Dickman conceived the idea of a waterfront community. He felt the location was ideally located equidistant between Tampa and Bradenton along U.S. Route 41.The Dickmans secured the services of an engineering firm in Miami, "Radar Engineering", to design a subdivision including roads, canals, schools, recreation areas, and community services.In the early 1950s, Dickman negotiated the sale of the land to three men from New York: Turner, Dean and Clark. They named the land "Tampa Beach", believing the association with Tampa would attract interested persons more readily than a name which did not properly locate the area geographically.In 1957, Francis Corr, a retired businessman from Michigan, purchased the land. Corr renamed the area La Vida Beach. Legend has it that in 1958 Corr's wife Dorothy suggested a new name, Apollo Beach, for the area's greatest benefit — sunshine.Locals say the name was also inspired by the U.S. space program that was then developing in Florida. Mr. Corr started construction of 50 homes in the area between U.S. 41 and Golf & Sea Boulevard.