Clearwater is a city located in Pinellas County, Florida, United States, northwest of Tampa and St. Petersburg. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 107,685.
Present-day Clearwater was originally the home of the Tocobaga people. Around 1835, the United States Armybegan construction of Fort Harrison, named after William Henry Harrison, as an outpost during the Seminole Wars. The fort was located on a bluff overlooking Clearwater Harbor, which later became part of an early 20th-century residential development called Harbor Oaks.The area's population grew after the Federal Armed Occupation Act of 1842 offered 160 acres (0.65 km2) to anyone who would bear arms and cultivate the land. Early settlers included the Stevens, Stevenson, Sever and McMullen families, who claimed and farmed large tracts of land. Prior to 1906, the area was known as Clear Water Harbor. The name "Clear Water" is thought to have come from a fresh water spring flowing from near where the City Hall building is located today. Clearwater was incorporated in 1891, with James E. Crane becoming the first mayor.Clearwater was reincorporated, this time as a city, on May 27, 1915, and was designated the county seat for Pinellas County, which broke from Hillsborough County in 1912.