DeBary is a city in Volusia County, Florida, United States, on the northern shore of the St. Johns River nearLake Monroe. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, the city had a population of 19,320.
The Timucuan Indians once lived in the vicinity of Lake Monroe, where the domain of Chief Utina extended to just north of Lake George. Florida was acquired from Spain in 1821, but the Seminole Wars would delay settlement. In 1866, Elijah Watson of Enterprise sold land to Oliver and Amanda Arnett on the northern shore of the St. Johns River at Lake Monroe, where they built a house.The couple in turn sold 400 acres (1.6 km2) in 1871 to (Samuel) Frederick deBary, a wealthy wine merchant from New York City, and that same year he erected a hunting lodge. Called "DeBary Hall," the 8,000 square foot (700 m²), 20 room Italianate mansion featured a two-tiered veranda, stables, an ice-house and the state's first swimming pool, fed by a spring.Frederick deBary died in 1898, and his mansion is today a restored museum, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The estate, reduced to 10 acres (40,000 m2), now features the community's oldest building, the Arnett House. Incorporated in 1993, the City of DeBary is named for its noted settler.