Howey in the Hills is a town in Lake County, Florida, United States. The population was 956 at the 2000 census. The Census Bureau estimated the population in 2008 to be 1,248.According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.9 square miles (4.9 km2), of which 1.8 square miles (4.7 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (4.86%) is water.
Howey-in-the-Hills was founded by William John Howey. On May 8, 1925 Howey-in-the-Hills was incorporated as the Town of Howey. In 1927 the name was officially changed to Howey-in-the-Hills, this was done to reflect the location of the town in an area of rolling hills.The first citrus juice plant in Florida was built in Howey-in-the-Hills by William John Howey in 1921.