Mount Dora is a U.S. city in Lake County, Florida. As of 2011, the United States Census Bureau estimates the Mount Dora population at 12,534.
The town of Mount Dora began in 1874 when the area was settled by David Simpson, his wife, and two children. In 1880, Ross C. Tremain became the town's first postmaster. A post office called Mount Dora has been in operation since 1883. At the time, the town was called Royellou, named for Tremain's three children.The community was later named for Dora Ann Drawdy, who was an early settler of the town in the mid-1880s. In 1846, the surveyors named Lake Dora after her, and in 1883 the town was renamed after the lake.The Mount in Mount Dora reflects the fact that the town is on a plateau 184 feet above sea level. In addition to this, Dora is memorialized through Dora Drawdy Way, an alleyway located in the downtown area.The town became a popular winter retreat for hunters, fishermen, and boaters, and in 1883 the Alexander House, a 2 story hotel, was opened. The Alexander House has been renamed several times and was later listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. A railroad came to town in 1887, followed by an orange packing house, fertilizer factories factories, and a cannery were established as well. The town was granted a charter in 1910 with John Philip Donnelly as its first mayor; the town had 371 residents at the time.