Valrico is a census-designated place (CDP) in Hillsborough County, Florida, United States. The population was 35,545 at the 2010 census.According to the United States Census Bureau, the community has a total area of 5.7 square miles (15 km2), of which 5.6 square miles (15 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (1.41%) is water.
Valrico began as a region of cotton plantations known as Long Pond. The arrival of the Florida Central and Peninsular Railroad in 1890 brought many new immigrants from points north. William G. Tousey, a philosophyprofessor from Tufts College, gave the community its current name, which is derived from a Spanish phrase meaning "valley of gold."