Acworth is a city in Cobb County, Georgia, United States. It is part of the Atlanta metropolitan area. As of the2010 census, this city had a population of 20,425, up from 13,422 at the 2000 census.
Like the rest of Cobb County, the area now containing Acworth was carved out of the former Cherokee Nationin 1831, after expelling the natives.The Western and Atlantic Railroad was completed through town in 1840. A watering station for the locomotives was established there.The town received its current name in 1843 from Western & Atlantic Railroad engineer Joseph L. Gregg, who named it for his hometown of Acworth, New Hampshire, which was named for the former Royal Navy SurveyorSir Jacob Acworth.Telegraph lines reached the town in 1851.Acworth was incorporated on December 1, 1860.