Duluth is a city in Gwinnett County, Georgia and developed suburb of Atlanta. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 26,600.
What is now Duluth was originally part of the Cherokee Indian territory.Duluth's forefather, cotton merchant Evan Howell, constructed a road connecting his cotton gin at the Chattahoochee River with Old Peachtree Road, creating Howell's Cross Roads. The settlement later became known as Howell's Crossing.Howell's Crossing was officially renamed Duluth in 1871 after Congress funded a north-south railroad line into the community. It was named after the city ofDuluth, Minnesota. A schoolhouse was built in 1871 on the site of what is now The Monarch School (formerly Duluth Middle School). The first Methodist church was organized in 1871, and the first Baptist congregation formed in 1886. The Bank of Duluth was charted in 1904, followed by the Farmers and Merchants Bank in 1911.