The city of Gainesville is the county seat of Hall County, Georgia, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 33,804.
Gainesville was established as Mule Camp Springs by settlers in the early 1800s. Less than three years after the creation of Hall County on December 15, 1818, Mule Camp Springs became Gainesville on April 21, 1821. It was named in honor of General Edmund P. Gaines, a hero of the War of 1812 and a noted military surveyor and road-builder. Gainesville was selected to be the county seat, and was chartered by the Georgia Legislature on November 30, 1821. A gold rush that began in nearby Lumpkin County in the 1830s resulted in an increase in the number of settlers and the beginning of a business community.In the middle of the nineteenth century, Gainesville witnessed two important events: in 1849, Gainesville was established as a resort center, and in 1851, much of the city was destroyed by fire.The period from 1870-1920 saw significant growth in Gainesville. In 1871 the Airline Railroad, later named theGeorgia Southern Railroad, began to stop in Gainesville, helping to expand the population from 1,000 in 1870, to over 5,000 in 1900. By 1898, textiles became the primary driver of the economy, in part due to the railroad. In 1902, Gainesville became the first city south of Baltimore to have street lamps. On March 1, 1905, free mail delivery began in Gainesville and on August 10, 1910 the Gainesville post office was opened. December 22, 1915 marked formal opening of the city's first skyscraper, the Jackson Building, which is still standing today. In 1919 Southern Bell made improvements to the phone system.