Hampton is a city in southwestern Henry County, Georgia, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 6,987. Census Estimates for 2005 show a population of 4,743. Hampton mailing addresses also dip into eastern Clayton County and northern Spalding County. It is a Southeastern Suburb in the Atlanta Metropolitan area.
The city was once known as Bear Creek or Bear Creek Station, named after a creek that runs through the area. The town was moved, established and renamed in 1873 when the Central Railroad of Georgia was built approx. one mile to the east. It was named after Brig. General Wade Hampton an American soldier inRevolutionary War and War of 1812.