Marietta is located in central Cobb County, Georgia, United States, and is the county's seat and largest city.As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 56,579. The 2013 estimate is 59,089, making it one of the Atlanta metropolitan area's largest suburbs.
Homes were built by early settlers near the Cherokee town of Big Shanty (now Kennesaw) prior to 1824.The first plat was laid out in 1833. Like most towns, Marietta had a square in the center with a courthouse. TheGeorgia General Assembly legally recognized the community on December 19, 1834.Built in 1838, Oakton House is the oldest continuously occupied residence in Marietta. The original barn, milk house, smokehouse, and wellhouse remain on the property. The spectacular gardens contain the boxwoodparterre from the 1870s. Oakton served as Major General Loring's headquarters during the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain in 1864.Marietta was initially selected as the hub for the new Western and Atlantic Railroad, and business boomed. By 1838, roadbed and trestles had been built north of the city. However, in 1840, political wrangling stopped construction for a time. In 1842, the railroad's new management decided to move the hub from Marietta to an area that would become Atlanta. Nonetheless, in 1850, when the railroad began operation, Marietta shared in the resulting prosperity.Businessman and politician John Glover arrived in 1848. A popular figure, Glover was elected mayor when the city incorporated in 1852.Another early resident was Dr. Carey Cox, who promoted a "water cure", which developed into a spa that attracted patients to the area. The Cobb County Medical Society recognizes him as the county's first physician.The Georgia Military Institute was built in 1851, and the first bank opened in 1855.