Riverdale is a city in Clayton County, Georgia, United States. The population was 15,134 at the 2010 census,up from 12,478 at the 2000 census. Riverdale is a suburb located just south of Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport and is part of the Atlanta metropolitan area.
The area now known as Riverdale was settled sometime before the Civil War. In 1887, a railroad, built fromAtlanta and Fort Valley, passed through Riverdale. Farmers in the area provided wood for the railroad. In turn, the farmers would get fertilizer. As the railroad grew, it needed more land. Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Rivers donated their land in order for the railroad to grow, and their land grew to become one of the main stops on the railroad.In 1908, the city was incorporated with the name Riverdale, named in honor of Mr. W.S. Rivers.