Antioch is a village in the Antioch Township of Lake County, Illinois, United States. The population was 14,430 at the 2010 census.
The Pottawatomi Indian Tribe, semi-nomadic hunters who lived in wigwams, inhabited Antioch when white men began to arrive. They fought with the British in the War of 1812 and then with the American settlers in the Blackhawk War of 1832.The first permanent white settlement in Antioch was the Gage Brothers' cabin on Sequoit Creek, a tributary of the Fox River. In 1839, Hiram Buttrick built a sawmill along the creek, making Antioch a center of commerce. Antioch was officially founded just prior to the Civil War by a congregation of the Disciples of Christ, also known as the Church of Christ. In 1843, less enthusiastically religious residents mockingly recommended the Christian name "Antioch" (the name of a city in present-day Turkey that was a chief center of early Christianity), and the name stuck. In 1892, Antioch reincorporated as a village, which it has been continuous to this day. The town grew as new settlers (primarily of English and German descent) established farms and businesses.