Elk Grove Village is a village located in northeastern Illinois adjacent to O'Hare International Airport and the city of Chicago. The population was 33,127 at the 2010 census.
Elk Grove Village, incorporated in 1956 in Elk Grove Township, was originally founded as a planned suburban community. The majority of houses were constructed by Centex Corporation. As part of the original planning concept, the village was to be home to separated residential and industrial areas.The original boundaries of Elk Grove Village's residential area were Higgins Road (Illinois Route 72) on the north, State Road (now Arlington Heights Road) on the west, Landmeier Road on the south, and Wildwood Road on the east. The village's original "Downtown" area was centered around the Park 'N' Shop Center at Higgins and Arlington Heights Road.In 2006, Elk Grove became one of the first municipalities in Illinois to enact a public smoking ban,and in 2008 became one of the first Chicago suburbs to use red light cameras. In April 2009, Elk Grove Village inaugurated the first Leed Gold Certified Village Hall in the State of Illinois.