Fort Sheridan is a residential neighborhood spread among Lake Forest, Highwood, and Highland Park inLake County, Illinois, United States.
A French trading post was established circa 1670 on a trail between Green Bay, Wisconsin and the early Chicago area. The trail and trading post was used by Native Americans and settlers alike. The settlers were mostly Irish, German, and Scandinavian immigrants. The area was never considered suitable for farming due to the many ravines and heavy forestation.In 1984 parts of Fort Sheridan were designated a National Historic Landmark District by the National Park Service. The National Park Service states that the site "possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America." The historic district includes 230 ares of land and buildings bounded by the Hutchinson and Bartlett Ravines and the shore of Lake Michigan. There are 94 buildings in the district.