Glen Ellyn is an affluent suburban village in DuPage County, Illinois, United States. As of the 2010 Census, the village population was 27,450.
The first landowner in Glen Ellyn was Deacon Winslow Churchill. He and his family moved to Glen Ellyn from New York in 1834. Other newcomers to the area built town necessities such as a tavern and school.Moses Stacy, a soldier in the War of 1812, arrived here in 1835. His inn, Stacy's Tavern, built in 1846 and his second home, was a halfway stop between Chicago and the Fox River Valley and a probable stop for Galena, Illinois stagecoaches on their way to Rockford, Illinois. Stacy's Tavern, now a historical monument, stands at what is now the intersection of Geneva Road and Main Street.In 1849, construction of a railroad line through Glen Ellyn was finished. In 1891, Glen Ellyn, advertised as Chicago's newest suburb and health resort, became the village's official name; it was incorporated on May 10, 1892.