Lake Zurich is a village in Lake County, Illinois, United States, a northwest suburb of Chicago. The population was 19,631 at the 2010 census.
The area of Lake Zurich was first settled by European descendants in the 1830s.The lake now known as Lake Zurich was once named Cedar Lake in the 19th century. The village of Lake Zurich was incorporated on September 29, 1896. It remained primarily a farming community; although the village was connected to the railroad in 1910, the line was closed ten years later. However, the arrival of the highway system with Rand Road (U.S. Route 12) in 1922 and Half Day Road (Illinois Route 22) in 1927 established Lake Zurich as a convenient summer resort. The now-defunct Palatine, Lake Zurich and Wauconda Railroad also served the community. Housing development began in the 1950s, with the population expanding throughout the latter part of the 20th century.