Lincolnwood (formerly Tessville) is a village in Cook County, Illinois, United States. The population was 12,590 at the 2010 census.
Potawatomi originally settled the wooded area, but vacated the land after the Indian Boundary Treaty of 1816.Johann Tess, for whom the village was originally named, and his family came from Germany in 1856, purchasing 30 acres (120,000 m2) of barren land in the area. Population slowly increased, and the first commercial establishment, the Halfway House Saloon, was established in 1873.The agrarian population grew after the establishment of a Chicago & North Western Railway station in nearby Skokie in 1891 and the completion of the North Shore Channel in 1909, which made the easily flooded prairie land manageable. 359 residents incorporated in 1911 and named the village Tessville.Tessville was long reputed for drinking and gambling until the 1931 election of its longest-serving mayor, Henry A. Proesel, a grandson of George Proesel, one of the original American settlers.Proesel finally changed Tessville's image when he renamed the village Lincolnwood in 1936.