Lisle is a middle-class village in DuPage County, Illinois, United States. The population was 22,687 at the 2012 census.
In 1830, Bailey Hobson, a Quaker, was the first settler in what would become DuPage County, Illinois, as well as Lisle Township. The town of Lisle was permanently settled in 1832, by brothers James C. Hatch and Luther A. Hatch after the close of the Black Hawk War. The two brothers acquired land near what is now Ogden Avenue and began a small farming community named "DuPage" or "East DuPage" because, of its proximity to the east branch of the DuPage River.DuPage, Illinois, was within the Webster and Naperville Precincts of the newly formed DuPage County in 1839, the county having been formed from western Cook County. In 1849, DuPage County formed its first townships, and the name Lisle was first proposed by early settler Alonzo B. Chatfield of Lisle, New York; the proposal was accepted, creating Lisle Township. The village was incorporated on June 26, 1956, and was also named after Lisle, New York.