Oswego is a village in Kendall County, Illinois, United States. The village population, according to the 2010 census, is 30,355.
In 1833, William Smith Wilson, his wife Rebecca, and his brother-in-law Daniel Pearce moved to the area now known as Oswego.The land was officially owned by the local Potowatomi, Ottawa, and Chippewa tribes, but the US Government removed the Native Americans when the government started surveying the land along the Fox River in Kendall County. In 1842, they placed the land for sale at a price of $1.25 an acre.After the sale of the land, two men from New York, Lewis Brinsmaid Judson and Levi F. Arnold, laid out the village and named it Hudson.However, when a post office was established, its location was given as Lodi. Confusion over the official name of the area led to a decision in January 1837, when the citizens then gathered and chose the permanent name of Oswego.The ford across the Fox River in the town allowed Oswego to grow economically and as a town. Many years later with the invention of the automobile, Oswego continued to see growth as it was a hub for three different state highways (Illinois Route 25, Illinois Route 71, and Illinois Route 31).