South Elgin is a village in Kane County, Illinois, United States. The population was 16,100 at the 2000 census, and estimated to be 20,758 as of 2005. In July 2007, Money magazine named South Elgin as 82nd of 100 entries in its "America's Best Places To Live" edition.Once populated by Native Indians, South Elgin and the other bordering towns Bartlett & St. Charles have done well in preserving this land's history. According to the 2010 census, South Elgin has a total area of 7.157 square miles (18.54 km2), of which 6.99 square miles (18.10 km2) (or 97.67%) is land and 0.167 square miles (0.43 km2) (or 2.33%) is water.South Elgin was originally called Clintonville, in honor of early settler James Clinton. The name South Elgin was adopted in 1907.