Yorkville (Official name: United City of Yorkville) is a city located in Kendall County, Illinois, United States. The population was 6,189 at the 2000 United States Census and had grown to 16,921 as of the 2010 census.
In 1836, the village of Yorkville was settled by early pioneers. When the county of Kendall was formed in 1841, Yorkville was chosen as the county seat. After a 13-year period in which Village of Oswego claimed that honor, voters chose to relocate the county government in 1859 to a more centralized location.Yorkville was chosen for that honor and the new courthouse was completed in 1864. Replaced in 1997 with a new courthouse on the north side of the city, the 1864 building, majestic in nature, still stands today and is used by the Kendall County Forest Preserve and other organizations. Yorkville was no exception to the railroad boom. Development began and businesses sprang up in 1870, along the tracks and included Squire Dingee's pickle factory, the Yorkville Ice Cream Company and the Rehbehn Brothers button factory. A few of those buildings are still remaining today.The Village of Yorkville existed as two towns, one north of the river and the other south of the Fox River, with separate governments, for more than 100 years. In 1957, both towns had their own identity—Bristol to the north and Yorkville to the south. In that year, Bristol and Yorkville merged, becoming the United City of Yorkville. As a result, Ellsworth Windett became Yorkville's first mayor.