Berkley is a town in Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States, located south of Boston and east ofProvidence, Rhode Island. The population was 6,411 at the 2010 census, making it the least populated town in the county.According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 17.4 square miles (45.1 km2), of which 16.5 square miles (42.8 km2) is land and 0.93 square miles (2.4 km2), or 5.24%, is water.
The present town of Berkley, then belonging to the neighboring towns of Dighton and Taunton, was first settled in 1638. It was officially incorporated as a separate town in 1735. The town was named for the philosopher and bishop George Berkeley (1685-1753), who lived in Newport, Rhode Island from 1728 to 1731. The change in the spelling to "Berkley" was likely due to the carelessness of the engrossing clerk of the Massachusetts General Court.