Brant Rock is a census-designated place (CDP) in Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States.The population of the CDP was 4,970 at the 2010 census.
Brant Rock and Ocean Bluff were originally inhabited by Native Americans, including members of the Wampanoag tribe of the Algonquian peoples. Native American artifacts have been found extensively in the area. The area at the end of Brant Rock village, known as Blackman's Point, was a Native American campground.In the 1630s, the government of the Pilgrim settlers at Plymouth began to give out land grants in the area.Brant Rock was originally known as "Branch's Island". The name "Brant Rock" eventually came into use, because of the huge rock outcropping along the beach on which brant geese would tend to rest. From the 17th century through the late 19th century, the area was primarily used for salt marsh haying, cattle grazing, and for fishing and fowling. In the late 19th century, the area became populated by large summer resort hotels and tourist shops.In January 1906, Reginald Fessenden achieved the first two-way transatlantic radiotelegraph transmission, exchanging Morse code messages between his stations in Brant Rock and Machrihanish, Scotland.