Waverley is a passenger rail station on the MBTA Commuter Rail Fitchburg Line, located in Waverley Square, Belmont, Massachusetts. The station is located below grade, in the triangle of Trapelo Road, Lexington Street, and Church Street in western Belmont.
Belmont was established on March 10, 1859, by former citizens of, and land from the bordering towns of Watertown, to the south;Waltham, to the west; and Arlington, then known as West Cambridge, to the north. The town was named after Bellmont, the 200 acre (0.8 km²) estate of one of the leading advocates of and largest donor to its creation, John Perkins Cushing. The easternmost section of the town, including the western portion of Fresh Pond, was annexed by Cambridge in 1880 in a dispute over a slaughterhouse licensed in 1878 on Fresh Pond, so that Cambridge could protect Fresh Pond, a part of its municipal water system.