Damascus is a census-designated place and an unincorporated area in Montgomery County, Maryland,United States.
The name "Damascus" comes from a reference presumably to Damascus, Syria, and was first used in an official document in 1816, when the United States Congress approved a postal route through the area, operated by Edward Hughes. The area currently known as Damascus was granted by the new state of Maryland to Nathaniel Pigman in 1783. On February 14, 1819, War of 1812 veteran named Edward Hughes bought a 40-acre (160,000 m2) section of the grant and began subdividing lots for sale. James Madison, the fourth U.S. President, appointed Hughes postmaster of the developing community of Damascus in 1816.The town was incorporated from 1890 to 1914, when the townspeople requested the incorporation be withdrawn so that Old Quaker Road, used sinceRevolutionary times and before, could be paved into a state highway. The town remains a commercial center for rural communities like Clagettsville, Browningsville, Cedar Grove, Woodfield, King's Valley, Purdum, and Lewisdale, although it is more developed today.