Essex is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Baltimore County, Maryland, United States. The population was 39,262 at the 2010 census.
Originally, Essex was ten blocks, running from Mace Avenue to Marlyn Avenue. It was begun in 1909 by the Taylor Land Company for those residents in Baltimore who wanted a place outside the city limits to perhaps grow a garden or to pursue some other rural activity. Land was cheap, and sales were enhanced by a promotional pamphlet. Henry Guttenberger built the first general store in Essex in 1910 on the corner of Eastern Avenue and Mace Avenue. Between 1911 and 1912, the Taylor Land Company donated the lots for Essex Methodist and St. John's Lutheran churches. They also donated the land where the volunteer fire department built their station. The permanent fire station opened in 1921.