Gibson Island is an island situated off the western shore of Chesapeake Bay. It is part of Anne Arundel County and is the eastern terminus of Maryland Route 177. It is connected by a causeway to Pasadena, of which it is sometimes considered a part.
Gibson Island’s rich and colorful history includes its use as a summer residence by Native Americans in the 17th century. Captain John Smith sailed past it in his voyage up the Chesapeake Bay in 1608. By 1663, the first land had been granted. There were many owners between these original grants and the purchase and consolidation of the island in the 1920s. W. Stuart Symington,Jr. (1871-1926) the founder of Gibson Island as it is known, bought the three existing island farms with his brother Thomas. They envisioned and developed it as a residential community where families from the Baltimore/Washington area could spend summers. One of the early owners was a man named Gibson, after whom the island is named.The Symington brothers set certain areas aside for community facilities and divided the remaining land into building lots offered for sale through the Gibson Island Company, now known as Gibson Island Corporation. From that time to the present, Gibson Island has had its own real estate department specifically handling the listing and selling of island properties. Revenue generated from these sales is returned to the community for its upkeep and beautification.