Glyndon is an unincorporated community in Baltimore County, Maryland, United States.
Glyndon still maintains much of the charm it had as a Victorian summer village over 100 years ago. The arrival of the Western Maryland Rail Road in 1860 promoted the early location and growth of Glyndon. The area itself was beautiful with green expanses and tall trees; an elevation above sea level of almost 700 feet provided delightful summers and mild winters.Prior to 1871, Dr. Charles A. Leas, the first health officer of Baltimore City and a former American consul, made several purchases of land in what is now Glyndon. When he discovered that farming was not his metier, he decided to found a small town. He employed the Baltimore surveyor Augustus Bouldin to lay out the lots and streets, planting rows of maples along the avenues. Baltimore County businessman Samuel P. Townsend also promoted the growth of the town with his purchase and development of a substantial number of acres. He assumed an active role in the community as a merchant, a railroad agent, and a postmaster.Affluent Baltimorians acquired summer homes in early Glyndon to escape the heat of the city. The proximity of the railroad to Glyndon allowed easy commuting for the businessmen to their jobs in the city some 25 miles away. Two- and three-story Victorian homes, with large airy rooms, wide halls from front to rear, and spacious porches, was the type of architecture chosen by the majority of the builders. Additionally, several boarding houses invited city folks to live in the country during the summer months.