Hampstead is a town in Carroll County in the U.S. state of Maryland. The population was 6,323 at the 2010 census.
Between 1736 and 1738, Robert Owings was assigned to "cut a new road as Christopher Gist had marked it" south from Connewago (now Hanover, Pennsylvania) to a point about halfway to Fort Garrison in Baltimore County. The village of Spring Garden became a stage-line stop on the new road and later became the town of Hampstead, named after Hampstead, in England. The first settlers to the area were English immigrants who made their way west from the Port of Philadelphia. They were followed by Scots and Germans. Hampstead was used by farmers from surrounding areas as a center to obtain goods brought from Baltimore and to send produce to markets in Baltimore and Pennsylvania. The level and fertile land, coupled with the availability of lime, gave farmers important advantages for successful farming. In 1879, the Harrisburg Division of the Western Maryland Railroad reached Hampstead. The accessibility of the railroad attracted new residents, doubled the value of real estate, and made dairy farming profitable. Incorporated in 1888, the Town of Hampstead celebrated its 125th Anniversary in 2013.