Rock Hall, "The Pearl of the Chesapeake", is a waterfront town located directly on the National Chesapeake Scenic Byway in Kent County, Maryland, United States. It is located less than two hours away from large metropolitan areas such as Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington DC. The population was 1,310 at the 2010 census.
Originally called Rock Hall Crossroads, the town is now a quaint fishing, sailing and recreational boating town situated picturesquely on the upper Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay. It is the center of Kent County’s maritime industries and is also a popular destination for art, music, culture and wildlife enthusiasts. Even before the Town’s establishment in 1707, the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries have shaped the economic and cultural development of the Town. In the early years, the Bay served as a commercial link to other populated areas on the western shore, such as Baltimore, Annapolis and Virginia, as well as northern areas such as Philadelphia and New York. The town was named for a mansion made of white sandstone, and was incorporated in 1908.