Woodstock is an affluent unincorporated community which is a suburb of Baltimore, Maryland. The original village of Woodstock is located in Howard County, and also includes portions of Baltimore County and Carroll County.
Thomas Browne, the "Patuxent Ranger" explored westward through Anne Arundel county through Clarksville and settled in the area in 1702. The Mt. Pleasant Log home was built by the Brown family in the 18th century. A century later in the civil war, confederate general Bradley Tyler Johnson used Mt. Pleasant to store weapons, dispatch messages and hide from Union troops. Woodstock was founded as a mining town based around its Granite quarries. The B&O railroad ran though the area with a station built in 1835 for granite deliveries. The postal community was named "Davis Tavern" when its first post office opened in 1836. Caleb Davis and Peter Gorman were early B&O contractors. Gorman married Elizabeth Browne of the Brown family, occupied a large farm "Good Fellowship", sold Granite for buildings and built a large granite house in town. The granite house was the birthplace of Arthur Pue Gorman, which was torn down to build a bridge across the Patapsco in the early 1980s. In 1869, the Jesuit Woodstock College opened on the Baltimore side of the Patapsco River. St, Alphonsus Rodriguez church was built on a section of the institute in 1887–1968 when it was lost to fire. In 1889, telegraph service was extended to town.