Baldwin is a town in Chemung County, New York, United States. The population was 832 at the 2010 census.The town name is derived from Thomas and Waterman Baldwin, two of the earliest settlers of the area. The town is east of Elmira. It is part of the Elmira Metropolitan Statistical Area.
While it is most likely that hunters and trappers passed though the area in earlier years, Baldwin was first settled around 1813, credit given to Charles and Warren Granger as being the first white settlers to the area. The brothers put down roots on what was first called "Hammond Corners" and would later become North Chemung.The town of Baldwin was founded by an act of the state legislature on April 7, 1856, from part of the town of Chemung. The first town meeting was held May 6, 1856, at the house of Daniel R. Harris, innkeeper. William H. Little was elected Town Supervisor, Johnson Little as Town Clerk, Daniel R. Harris as Commissioner of the Highways, and William R. Drake, William and Jeremiah McCumber as Justices of the Peace.