Bellmore is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) in Nassau County, New York, United States. The population according to the 2010 census was 16,218.
Bellmore was settled primarily by Englishmen who crossed Long Island Sound from Connecticut in the middle of the seventeenth century. Christian Sorto purchased a 214-acre (0.9 km2) farm in what is now North Bellmore in 1655. Further south, near the bay, John Smith deeded 100 acres (0.4 km2) to his son, Jeremiah in 1676. John Bedell married Sarah Southard and moved into their new home on Merrick Road in about 1689. Two communities grew out of these beginnings. Smithville (later Smithville South) was named for the many Smith families who lived in the area, and New Bridge, named for the bridge that joined the peninsulas south of Merrick Road.When the railroad was built through the area in 1867 they arbitrarily named their station Bellmore. Development followed as both communities grew towards the railroad and adopted the name Bellmore. By 1920, the Bellmores had a population of 3000 as well as stores along Bedford Avenue.In 1968, the Supreme Court ruled against Sam's Stationery and Luncheonette of Bellmore. In Ginsberg v. New York, the Court found that it was well within the state’s power to protect minors and that just because the material is not classified as obscene to adults it may still be regulated with minors.