Congers is an affluent, suburban hamlet and census-designated place in the town of Clarkstown, Rockland County, New York, United States. As of the 2010 census, the CDP population was 8,363.
Congers, named after Abraham B. Conger, was settled in the late 17th century by Dutch, German and English settlers and was known as Cedar Grove Corner and then Waldberg, which in German means "forest mountain".In the 19th century the Congers railroad station, three churches, a school, the firehouse and the Central and Globe hotels were built. The first floor of the then Globe hotel (pictured below) on the southeastern corner of Congers Road is presently the Last Chance Saloon. The Clarktown Dutch Reformed Church still stands at the corner of Congers Road and Kings Highway.Kings Highway was the first major road in the county and for many years the only road from New York to Albany.Today there exist nine structures with recognized historical markers dating back to the 18th century, including the DeBaum House on Kings Highway, the Smith House on Gilchrest Road and the Snedeker House, where the Commander-in-chiefGeorge Washington is believed to have spent a night.The Swartout estate which was occupied by George Swartout, was part of a large tract of land confiscated by the government about 1777; It was purchased by General James Swartout who was a collaborator of George Washington, and member of a family which traced its residence in Rockland County to 1660.