East Rockaway is a village in Nassau County, New York, in the United States. The population was 9,818 at the2010 census.
Originally named Near Rockaway, the village began as a shipping and trading center for the south shore ofLong Island. The village's location was desirable for ships because of its deep channels inland. Eventually agrist mill was built on the Mill River by Joseph Haviland through a land grant in 1688. The Haviland-Davison Grist Mill, located in Memorial Park, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. Later an oven was purchased to make bread for the surrounding population. The village prospered in shipping and milling over the years, even after several sales of the land.The village's name was changed in 1869 to East Rockaway. The village was incorporated in 1900, and Floyd Johnson was president. At the time of incorporation the town had a population of 969.