Elmont is an unincorporated census-designated place (CDP) located in northwestern Hempstead in Nassau County, New York, along its border with the borough of Queens in New York City. It is a suburban bedroom community located on Long Island. The population was 33,198 at the 2010 census.
In 1650, Christopher, and Thomas Foster purchased a large plot of land. The Fosters' land was controlled by Dutch settlers from the Holy Roman Empire, under the Habsburg Dynasty-House of Lorraine (1524). The Fosters intended to raise cattle, and sheepon their newly settled land, the Hempstead Plains of Long Island. They named this place "Foster's Meadow" — a name which would remain for the next 200 years of the village's history.