The Incorporated Village of Farmingdale is an incorporated village on Long Island within the Town of Oyster Bay in Nassau County, New York in the United States. The population was 8,189 at the 2010 Census.
The first European settler in the area was Thomas Powell, who arrived in 1687. On October 18, 1695, he purchased a 15-square-mile (39 km2) tract of land from three Native American tribes. This is known as theBethpage Purchase and includes what is now Farmingdale, as well as Bethpage, Melville, North Massapequa,Old Bethpage, Plainedge, and Plainview. One of two houses he built in the area (circa 1738) still stands on Merritts Road in Farmingdale.In 1886 a fire department was organized. The Village of Farmingdale was incorporated in 1904. In 1912, the State Agricultural and Technical school was established. The Lenox Hills Country Club, an 18-hole private golf course designed by Devereaux Emmet, was developed north of the community in 1923. This golf course was purchased by the State of New York, expanded and opened as Bethpage State Park in 1932. The original 1920s era Lenox Hills subdivision and later adjacent subdivisions, located between the Bethpage State Park golf course and the Long Island Railroad trackage, encompassing rolling hills and a wide boulevard, are known as the more upscale part of Farmingdale Village. Later, Farmingdale became a locus for the aircraft industry, notably Republic Aviation Company.