Freeport (officially The Incorporated Village of Freeport) is a village in the town of Hempstead, Nassau County, New York, New York, USA, on the South Shore of Long Island. The population was 42,860 at the 2010 census.
Before people of European ancestry came to the area, the land was part of the territory of the Meroke Indians. Written records of the community go back to the 1640s. The village now known as Freeport was part of an area called "the Great South Woods" during colonial times. In the mid-17th century, the area was renamed Raynor South, and ultimately Raynortown, after a herdsman named Edward Raynor, who had moved to the area from Hempstead in 1659, cleared land, and built a cabin.