Glen Cove is a city in Nassau County, New York on the North Shore of Long Island. As of the United States 2010 Census, the city population was 26,964.
Succeeding cultures of indigenous peoples had lived in the area for thousands of years. Glen Cove was used as a port by English migrants from New England and named "Moscheto" before 1668. On May 24, 1668 Joseph Carpenter of Warwick,Rhode Island purchased about 2,000 acres (8.1 km2) of land to the northwest of the Town of Oyster Bay from the Matinecock. Later in that year he admitted four residents of Oyster Bay as co-partners in the project: brothers Nathaniel, Daniel, and Robert Coles, and Nicholas Simkins. The five young men named the settlement Musketa Cove Plantation, "musketa" meaning “place of rushes” in the Lenape language.In the 1830s, steamboats started regular service on Long Island Sound between New York City and Musketa Cove, arriving at a point still called "The Landing." As "Musketa" was negatively associated with mosquito, in 1834 village residents changed the name to Glen Cove; this was said to be taken from the misheard suggestion of "Glencoe," meaning Glencoe, Scotland. The village added population as workers arrived for jobs at the Duryea Corn Starch factory, which operated until 1900. The name "Duryea" was once suggested as a village name to replace Mosquito Cove but rejected.By 1850 the village of Glen Cove had become a popular summer resort community for New York City residents. The Long Island Rail Road was extended to Glen Cove in 1867, providing quicker, more frequent service to New York City. The availability of the train and the town's location on Long Island Sound made it attractive to year-round residents, and the population increased. On June 8, 1917, Glen Cove became an independent city, separating from the Town of Oyster Bay after 250 years.