Harrison is a village and town located in Westchester County, New York, approximately 22 miles (35 km) northeast of Manhattan. The population was 27,472 at the 2010 census.
Harrison was established in 1696 by John Harrison, who was given 24 hours to ride his horse around an area which would become his, to fill an owe the King had to him. Because Harrison had to travel by horse the town contains no waterways that could not be forded on horseback. The town gets its name from Mr. Harrison, and was incorporated as a town on March 7, 1788, by an act of the New York State legislature.Merritt's Hill in West Harrison was the site of the Battle of White Plains during the Revolutionary War. Regiment 182 of the Continental Army, of the 367 regiments there, was the Harrison Regiment, composed solely of people from Harrison.During the 1830s, David Haviland settled in Harrison where he produced Haviland China which he sold in his store in New York City before returning to his native France. Today there exists a Haviland Street in a neighborhood of Harrison known as "South Downtown", whose only street marker looks rather quite older than the rest in the town, composed of wrought iron in scrolled shapes.In 1867 Benjamin Holladay purchased the land that is now Manhattanville College in Purchase. On the property is a Norman-style Roman Catholic chapel built for his wife. There is also Reid Castle, once called the Ophir House, before being renamed for a later purchaser. The castle hosted the King and Queen of Siamin the early 1930s.