Katonah is one of three hamlets and census-designated places (CDP) within the town of Bedford, Westchester County, in the U.S. state of New York, specifically northern Westchester. The Katonah CDP had a population of 1,679 at the 2010 census.
Katonah is named for Chief Katonah, an American Indian from whom the land of Bedford was purchased by a group of English colonists. Founded with the name Whitlockville, the town changed its name, and later was moved to its present site in 1897, when its former site (Old Katonah) was flooded by the construction of theCross River Reservoir. More than 50 buildings were moved from the old site to New Katonah, rolled on logs pulled by horses. The move was originally ordered to start in 1894, but litigation delayed the process by almost three years.During the American Revolution military battles or skirmishes did not take place in the area that is now the Village of Katonah. However, most local men joined the Continental side, with some joining the New York 4th Regiment of the Line and most joining the local Militia. Though the Bedford Township lay in what was called "Neutral Ground", supposedly not molested by military of either side, its inhabitants were preyed on by the lawless of both sides. Actually, this area suffered less from lawless depredations than other areas in the Neutral Ground, because of the proximity of the Croton River and the "Westchester Lines", a sparse string of outposts defended by units of the Continental Army.