Lawrence is a town in St. Lawrence County, New York in the United States. The population was 1,826 at the 2010 census. The town is named after William Lawrence, an early land owner. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 47.7 square miles (124 km2), of which, 47.7 square miles (124 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.06%) is water. Settlers began arriving in the region shortly after 1800, but many left permanently during the War of 1812. A state road constructed through the region in 1827 helped renew settlement of Lawrence.The town was formed in 1828 from parts of the Towns of Brasher and Hopkinton.