The Incorporated Village of Massapequa Park is a village and hamlet located within the town of Oyster Bay inNassau County, New York, USA.The population was 17,008 at the 2010 census.
The village located on the South Shore of Long Island shares the early Native American history ofMassapequa. Then, in the 19th century, families of German descent relocated from Brooklyn to what is now Massapequa Park, and the resulting community was known as Wurtenberg or Stadtwurtemburg. The main attraction and center of activity was the Woodcastle Hotel, a rooming house built in 1868 on Front Street next to the fire department as a summer resort. It was destroyed by fire in 1952 and replaced by houses.In 1928 readers of The New York Times saw ads for Massapequa Park, a development built by a real estate firm owned by Michael J. Brady, Frank Cryan and Peter Colleran. The three Irish-Americans described their project as having a bit of Old Erin and the area between Sunrise Highway and Merrick Road still has its mostly Irish street names. In 1931, Massapequa Park was incorporated as a village to ensure control of land use and other issues. A number of kit houses from Sears Roebuck were built in two different areas of the Village. These include some of the largest model kit houses offered by Sears. There is also a section of Massapequa Park that was established in the mid 1950s east of Park Lane and west of Carmans Road that is named Westwood Village that offers an abundance of Cape Cod style homes and a few Split Level homes.