Northport is a historic maritime village located within the Town of Huntington on Long Island, New York. As of 2010, the village has a population of around 7,401.
The original inhabitants of the area now known as Northport were the Matinecocks, one of 13 Native Americantribes of Long Island. The Matinecocks called this land Opcathontyche, which meant "wading place creek".After Dutch interest a few years earlier, the land was sold by Chief Asharoken, head of the Matinecocks, to three Englishmen in 1656.With land that was well suited for farming, the early settlers grazed cattle on pastures around the harbor. The area soon became known as Great Cow Harbour.In the early 19th century Great Cow Harbor was still a rural farming community. By 1837 the village was being referred to as Northport.On April 25, 1868, the Long Island Rail Road opened a station within the village of Northport.Although it was known by the name of Northport since at least 1837, the village of Northport was formally incorporated in 1894, the first village to do so in the Town of Huntington. Over the years Northport has expanded from its original borders, annexing other established communities.