Oakland Gardens is a middle class neighborhood in the southern part of Bayside, bounded to the north by the Long Island Expressway, to the east by Alley Pond Park, to the south by Union Turnpike, and to the west by Cunningham Park. Whitestone is to the north, and Queens Village and Bellerose are to the south and southeast, respectively. The neighborhood is part of Queens Community Board 11.
Fredrick Newbold Lawrence built a mansion in the area in 1847 called "The Oaks", and the neighborhood's name probably derives from that estate. Many people refer to Oakland Gardens as "southern Bayside" because of its proximity and similarity to Bayside.