Pelham is an inner-ring suburban town in Westchester County, New York, approximately 14 miles northeast of Midtown Manhattan. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 12,396.
In 1654, Thomas Pell bought the area within the present-day town from the Siwanoy Indians. He named his manor "Pelham" in honor of his tutor, Pelham Burton.Pelham was incorporated as a town on March 7, 1788. It included all of City Island and present-day Pelham Bay Parkeast of the Hutchinson River. In 1895, the town was reduced in size to its current boundaries. In 1891, the village of Pelham Manor incorporated. In 1896, the village of North Pelham and the village of Pelham incorporated. In 1975, the villages of North Pelham and Pelham merged, forming the present village of Pelham.The Village of Pelham and the Village of Pelham Manor share several services such as school and recreational activities.There is agrassroots movement to continue the consolidation of services in order to reduce taxes.The Pelham Picture House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.